Saturday, November 20, 2010

You are your own leader.

I have never been the type of person to specifically talk about leadership. I actually think there are plenty of persons who discus it enough. If you want to hear about leadership, you can simply go to iTunes, type in  leadership, and find hundreds of results.

My wife is taking a human resources course, and one of the course assignments is a 20 page paper. The reading associated with this paper is full of self-assessments. Some of these assessments have to do with leadership, listening, communicating, and other things associated with human relations, and professional relationships. After reading her paper (not the book... keep this in mind) I found some generalized information that scared me.

I think there is a notion, that is becoming a trend, fad, and movement, that says, "leaders look like_________. If you want to be a leader, you need to be ________." The word "Leader" has a definition that is "a person who leads," which comes from Merriam Webster's online dictionary. While this is not the most comprehensive definition of leadership, I honestly think we need to leave it at that. I know there are traits that can assist in leadership, but DO NOT CHANGE YOURSELF TO FIT A MOLD.

God crafted you in a specific way to do a specific thing, be a specific person, and lead a specific way. To change yourself to fit another person's opinionated mold, I fear, would almost be telling God that HE got it wrong and you, the person leader, can do it better.

So, whether you are a loud leader, a screaming leader, a silent leader, a Type A leader, or a Type B leader, JUST LEAD. Lets keep it simple and lets fit the mold that God has set for us individually. He has made us complex as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment