Monday, November 8, 2010

Thanksgiving Festivities

I was talking with my wife today and I asked, "I wonder where the tradition of the early, Thanksgiving dinner started." She didn't really know and I didn't know. We gave our guesses, but they were only guesses.

We were shopping that day, and as we were walking in the store, I asked the same question to the occasional grocery store shopper. Wouldn't you know it?!? Every person I asked had no answer. So, I guess we reduce this timeless tradition to, "That's how we've always done it."

My wife and I have decided to break the curse. You can do it too... if you want. We, on the other hand, have decided that DINNERS ARE MEANT FOR DINNER, and it's the same with everything else. Just because it worked in the past does not mean that it will work in the future. This simple fact penetrates ever aspect of life, which includes church, business, traditions, and the like. Venture to be different. The best business and church I know of have done things differently. When everyone else decided to do things the way they have always been done, some pioneer companies decided to do things differently... and it payed off. 

Think about it: Apple, Krispy Kreme, Coach, Self Checkout lines, quibids, Craigslist, Lifechurch.tv, and many more have decided to do it a little different, and everyone thanks them for setting a pioneering example.

Do it different!

No comments:

Post a Comment