Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The "F" Bomb

My wife and I used to live and work at a church in Victoria Texas. The people out there are good people, and the church was a good church. Although, it was not the church for me. We didn't fit well together. I would have to say to all of the future ministers, take your time in picking a church, and pick one that makes sense. That, on the other hand, can wait for another post.

After a while, this church started to treat my wife and I poorly, and it became a very toxic situation. God is good, though, and I got fired from that job.

I really do praise God for that.

All of it really burned in my heart, but after a while, I put it at the back of my mind.

Recently, on the other hand, I saw a picture of the pastor of that church on facebook, and all of the hurt came flooding back. It was at that moment that God spoke to me, and he told me something that I always knew. God said, "You're going to have to give them the 'F Bomb.'" So, I did. I didn't curse at them. I forgave them. "holding on to the hurt and the anger doesn't do anything to them. It does everything to you." God was right. Pastor J is completely unaffected by the hurt that I have inside. Me on the other hand, my chest tightened, and I started to get light headed.

The truth is this: harboring unforgiveness doesn't do anything to the other person. You can get angry. You can cry. You can get red in the face. The other person is going to keep living his or her life. You forgive them, because you need to forgive them. Unforgiveness will make you physically ill. Plus, we are all screw ups who, at one point, were forgiven. Christ forgave us, and we didn't even ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment