Saturday, August 28, 2010

... all your eggs in the church building basket?

There is a church southwest of where I live that has planned to build a multi-million dollar facility, and they have not had an actual service. They are starting their internet push, and I started asking myself questions.

Is this what Jesus had in mind when he gave his life on the cross?

Now that you have heard my question, I want to tell you something. I don't have anything against large thriving churches. I attend Lifechurch.tv, and it is the largest church in Oklahoma. Still, the question remains. Why would we spend so much on something that is so materialistic? Why can't we simply reach out with our hands, rather than pull in with a lifeless building. It is the people who are going to make the difference in reaching lives; then, it will be Christ that makes the difference in changing lives. As a matter of fact, we would not be able to reach if it weren't for the grace and life-giving power of Christ.

So, what are we building for. There are some churches that have made it their strategy to build closer to the lost. Lifechurch.tv is that way, and I think it is an excellent idea. Although, it only works because the people of the church are being the church, and they are reaching out with their hands. I occasionally attend a church that just bought an old movie theater, for cheap, and made it their church.

Why can't that happen? Why do we have to spend millions of dollars on a building that will pass away? Why can't we spend our money on people or strategies to reach people. Come on!!! There are hungry children in Africa, but we have to build the biggest stained glass window. Let's get our head in the game. Let's stop putting all of our eggs in the church building basket. There are better uses for the money, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment